About Becky Villareal
I was born in Dallas, Texas in 1954 to missionary parents who traveled around Texas serving various communities. As the fourth of five children I was often left to my own devices to entertain myself. So inventing new stories became my passion at a very early age where I would create small books out of any scraps of paper I could find around the house.
For twenty years I have been teaching in Dallas Independent School District. For the past ten years I have been completing family research on my mother’s and father’s families. The grandmother of two I enjoy writing and spending time with my family.
As an elementary teacher and ten year veteran of genealogy, I have been able to enjoy not only working with children but finding out about my family history. I also enjoys a good cup of coffee, a quiet place to write, and a warm purring cat on my lap while I type.
Find out more at
1. Could you tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Becky Villareal and I retired from teaching elementary school in June 2016. My parents were both Southern Baptist Missionaries who served the Lord for over twenty years. I am the mother of three and the grandmother of two granddaughters and a grandson who has recently learned to crawl. I have been writing since I was very young.
2. What kind of books do you bring with you when you go on holiday?
I take light hearted books about pets as in Nick Trout’s books.
3. If you could spend a sunny day anywhere how would your perfect day look like?
On the beach in Galveston
4. Could you tell us about your hobbies (when you are not writing or reading)?
I love doing genealogy research, reviewing children’s books, quilting
5. Where do you find the inspiration for your stories?
From watching children in and out of the classrooms and listening to their conversations.
6. If you could be any leading character from a bestselling book, who would you be and why?
I would be Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird because she was able to enjoy being a child even though the events surrounding her were difficult.
7. What's your favorite reading spot?
A large blue leather chair in my office.
8. What is your favorite holiday destination and what do you like so much about it?
My favorite destination is my son Michael’s house so we can celebrate as a family
9. Do you have any advice for authors who would like to write a sunny story?
Don’t give up on your writing. Stay true to yourself. Don’t write towards a trend but write what is in your heart. Write every day.
10. What can we expect from you in the future?
I am currently working with Golden Wheat Literary Agency to publish the third in my series of Gianna the Great books. I am also working on a YA novel as well as a children’s story about Aboriginal people in Australia.
|Amazon USA Amazon UK|
One very lucky reader of With Love for Books will win a paperback copies of Gianna the Great and Halito Gianna by Becky Villareal.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The winner will be notified by email and has 3 days to respond. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of approved email addresses. All of our giveaways are international.